Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wilting in Warsaw

Another boiling day in Europe, but we took today at a slower pace which was nice.

A 7:00 wakeup call which was such a treat (if nothing else, I'm prepared to wake for work once home again, now?) and then a delicious breakfast, in which I sat with Pinchas - what an honor.

Thankfully, our days alternate between intense emotional days and historical lessons and visiting monuments and sites. Today was one of those days, doubly needed after the exhausting heat on top of the emotional exhaustion.

Today we had an earlier start as Pinchas spoke to us about his experiences pre-war and what life was like. We also spent time reflecting in small groups and throwing around ideas and discussions.

This morning was a short walk of the area that was once the Warsaw ghetto, now beautiful, old, restored and rebuilt buildings and monuments. We even got to see a piece of the ghetto wall as well as hear Pinchas speak further, as he spent much time in this area.

Most of the afternoon was free time in the Old Town area of Warsaw: a gorgeous spot and the stereotypical European streetscape. Lunch, for me, involved a zapiekanka which was a baguette, mushrooms, melted cheese and ketchup. Delicious and massive. Once home next week, a photo will follow (taken by a lovely Polish gentlemen who spent some time in Canada and was excited to see the flag on my backpack).

I spent most of the afternoon on my own, taking a break from being squished between people and took a few good deep breaths as I enjoyed gelato and people watched.

I bought myself an amber and silver ring, as apparently that's the thing to get in Poland, and am in love with it. I also picked up a couple souvenir postcards and a mug of Old Town.

This area of town was gorgeous, and I even got my hand kissed by a tin man, watched a crazy knight duel and just took in the scenery. Another blog post will follow once I'm home regarding the cities, hotels etc themselves.

Finally, we visited Mila 18. Just now we're waiting for a guest speaker on the Righteous Amongst the Nations before dinner, another Sabbath ceremony and then a night out on the town. I can't promise I'll blog again tonight as Im several journals behind.

I can't believe tomorrow is our last day; it feels like it's been a month ... yet only a few short days.

Peace, and love.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone, from Warsaw, Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment