Friday, May 20, 2011

Shabbat Dinner

We arrived in Warsaw! A beautiful town, the largest in Poland, and one more modern than I was expecting (we're all so emotionally drained that we drooled as we drove by a big store shopping area. Therapy, anyone?).

I, thankfully, slept the whole 3 hour bus ride from Lublin to Warsaw, albeit the last 20 minutes coming in to town - what beautiful farming suburbs!

I can't promise how much I'll be blogging the next few days -- Internet is giving me problems once again (last night I stood in the hallway in my pjs to post) and the outlet adapter I've been using has fried my iPod wall adapter. Annoying to say the least. That being said, you've all been so great to follow me and send me warm wishes so I'll try my best to keep blogging at least once a day. Keep checking in and checking my Facebook for other updates. It's crazy we're here on the home stretch...tomorrow we have some free time in Warsaw on our own and then tomorrow night we're hitting the town with the program directors and educators. It's been a whirlwind of a trip; I feel so privileged to be here, that there are so many other students that care so much to make a change and that there are so many that donate to make this program possible. It feels like we've been here a month.

As Allison mentioned in her blog on our Majdanek visit, we are two people with no direct relation, but we found comfort in each other today - we stood, hugging, crying, and the pain slowly healed - although never fully - knowing we had each other, we understood, we cared and we will change.

On another note, we are practically the same person and I'm so pleased that such great friendships are coming out of this program as well, as we share squished bus seats, pillows to nap on, and strong emotional connections. Not to mention hysterical laughing fits at dinner (I blame it on the heat).

This evening was our Shabbat dinner as tomorrow is the day of rest in the Jewish community.

The kosher dinner followed a beautiful ceremony of Yiddish prayer and song which we all joined in on, celebration of faith and life through poetic recitations and a bit of reflection by each participant to be shared at a later date. Tonights reflection really allowed me to think about this, but I've been reminding myself of Mike Fitz's "famous" quote alot this week: JUST LOVE IT.

Dinner was beautiful and delicious and although I ate too much Hallah I am feeling content tonight, prepared for another day tomorrow.

Thank you all for reading.

Peace, and love.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone, from Warsaw, Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment