Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Never Again

My only words are "never again". This morning we visited Auschwitz I, this afternoon Auschwitz II-Birkenau.

An emotional experience is putting it lightly. Like I said, I have no words. Yet. None of us do. We took photos, held hands, rubbed backs and wiped tears in silence. I was overwhelmed, grieving, thinking of Philip Riteman, and so taken back trying to understand how one can hate another that much. How so much went so far so fast. Unimaginable. Even when there and visiting the site.

I will express my thoughts, emotions at a later date. I'm currently drained. I can't put two and two together and even try to reflect just yet.

Before leaving Auschwitz I we had a chance to buy books: which I did. On top of this, we shared who we were marching for, before marching from the station the Jews were dropped at to march to Birkenau. Birkenau, 3km from Auschwitz, is a huge site. We marched from 1km outside it's gate.

I was thrown back by the sheer magnitude and size of Birkenau. I can't say which camp had a larger impact on me..they both did in their own way.

Group Gatherings await to reflect on the day, dinner at 830, and I need rest...badly. A long day on it's own, topped with emotions and direct sunlight (no mom, I'm not burnt...just rosy ;-) )

I just want to share the quote from the back of our March shirts with you, before closing.

"Be not a victim. Be not a perpetrator. But above all, be not a bystander" (inspired by Yaheda Bauer).

Peace, and love.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone, from Krakow, Poland.

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the emotion. I'm glad you were with a bunch of friends and you all could support each other. It was a terrible thing, wasn't it? Gail M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep discovering Laura! I'm glad you're taking in so much from your experiences :)

    ReplyDelete