Thursday, May 19, 2011

From Krakow to Lublin

Today we spent our last few hours in Krakow before another long bus ride to Lublin, where Majdanek concentration camp is located. We'll be visiting there tomorrow.

Our walking tour of Krakow this morning not only included visiting the town square which was the Ghetto during the war, but numerous other sites. There is now a beautiful, and very symbolic, memorial/monument in the main Ghetto square, now. We also passed/saw the Pharmacy, Schindler's factory (which is the one that was in the movie), and remains of the Ghetto wall (which is in surprisingly good condition). We spent some time at different synagogues and cemeterys including the oldest synagogue in Poland (14th century).

I enjoyed this, although not fully appreciating the decor and history due to religious constraints. It was, however, fascinating history and a great way to explore the city. It was here that I was deeply saddened and angered while visiting the last synagogue as a swastika had been painted near the door, with what looked like fresh paint attempting to cover it. Obviously this would be disheartening no matter what but considering we are still "recovering" from yesterday, this was very difficult to see. The thought that these thoughts are still prevalent in Jewish, or any communities, just made me feel sick. The world has changed so much but seems to have changed so little.

We also visited the memorial site of Plashov concentration camp. A gorgeous area of valleys and forest with a large memorial which reminded me of a cross between Easter Island and Stonehenge. I suggest you google it, it was gorgeous and powerful. It was here that the second survivor who is traveling with us spoke. Pinchas' story is a true miracle, an emotional but heart warming tale of hope and love. One cannot imagine surviving what Pinchas and Faigie did; I feel as if I would give up hope, not be able to withstand such atrocities. I cannot ensure how I would react, but with several survivors stories in my mind, I have refreshed hope.

Before leaving Krakow for Lublin, we had a lunch break and I had the opportunity to experience a Polish grocery store. My best friend Angela will have to wait for her birthday surprise, however, she will be pleasantly surprised and impressed with the treat.

I've fallen in love with the European food: everything is so much healthier, easier to go down..and lighter.

Our guide, Michael, is not only a fantastic vault of information but also a wonderful story teller and mother hen. If we nap, we get another story.

It's another beautiful day - clear skies, sunny and 27 degrees. I'm looking forward to home and a full day of sleep and bed rest as my body is sore, but I am not (yet) tired, just wiped from the physical exertion and direct sunlight. The day has also been full of laughter as we reflect on last night. The dancing, American music, hysterical Polish boys, and the crazy ride home. We all had such a fun time and really bonded both then and this morning; laughter really is the best medicine. All I'll say on the topic is BARBARA STRIESAND!

I'm so thankful the weather has been gorgeous, it's making my first European experience a beautiful and enjoyable one...and I already want to come back to these countries to see more.

Peace, and love.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone, from Poland.
Location:Bus, Poland

4 comments:

  1. I'm getting updated on your blog, so this is why i keep commenting!
    i'm very glad you find european food healthier and all, cause i felt the contrary when i was in canada, i'm glad we share this idea about food.
    And what did you get to Angela?
    I think that polish club are some of the best in europe, open very long and easy to get in. but that's true in club we listen a lot to american music!! you'll have to tell me all the details this summer!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and i wanted to ask you. did people tell you that Poland is still one of the more antisemit country in the world? cause i heard that from a few people, and i was wondering if they told you that on the trip. and actually this is something i dont understand at all. how a country that treated those people like that can keep hating them?! this is over my comprehension...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camille!

    They didn't tell us about much antisemitism in Poland today on the trip, but we SAW IT. In Germany, the synaogues and Jewish Day Schools were guarded by security guards and they didn't give an exact reason, but I assume that's why. We also had to do an activity one day where we had to approach locals and ask them some things, and we got a lot of rude replies or they'd just ignore us, but talk in English. They understood, but were ignorant. It was so heartbreaking.

    In Krakow, we saw a Synagogue with a Swastika painted on the door, fresh paint over it; so it had happened in the last day or two, I'd say. So disgusting that people thought that way, and still think that way, and will publically display it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just actually read this... I am ashamed to say I haven't tested the sesame snaps yet! Best b-day present ever though ;)

    ReplyDelete