Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Krakow and all it entails

I have not exactly blocked visiting Auschwitz from my mind, but I took a night off tonight. I didn't think about today. Or tomorrow. Or our painful history. After today, I really needed a night off to relax, drink beer, explore Europe (Krakow) and gain some energy for tomorrows itinerary which includes another long (6 hour) drive (to Lublin).

I have not even attempted a dent for today's journal entry. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week. It was such a powerful day - both positively and negatively - and there's no way I can put what I felt and saw into words just yet.

Today was, however, a gorgeous day. It was roughly 25 degrees and the sky was clear and blue. As much as this was appreciated and as nice the warmth was, it made visiting Auschwitz and Birkenau a bit strange. It seemed so beautiful, bright...it didn't add to the expected aura and mood of the place as gloomy and grey.

This being said, I do think visiting Auschwitz in the rain wouldn't have allowed me to fully engage and enjoy its site as much as I did.

This evening's debriefing was very helpful, I found, and more tears were shed...especially as we discussed the children's exhibit and reflected on Faigie's story (one of the survivors traveling with us). This really hit me hard as a female who hopes to later have children and as someone who loves her mother and the protection that relationship offers.

This evening, after a traditional dinner of Perogies and what was possibly the best (mushroom) soup EVER (in the coolest bread bowl), several of us stayed in the downtown district of Old Town Krakow to explore the nightlife. (side note: Krakow, second largest city in Poland, is beautiful. Castles! Architecture! Parks!)

The club we found was playing American music, crazy disco lights and was empty other than us for a while. Soon after several Polish guys arrived (cute, but bad dancers), I decided it was time to fully rest my brain and body ... And here I am!

Tomorrow we visit a few more sites in Krakow before heading to Lublin. Im unsure the state of wireless there so you may not hear from me at all tomorrow.

Another beautiful day is in store, and I feel I have a weight on my shoulders that needs to be lifted by a good nights sleep and reflection.

Peace, and love.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone, from Krakow, Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment