Thursday, May 19, 2011

Family Matters

Last evening, we had a small ceremony or discussion with three fellow MRHers about their family ties to the Holocaust; 2 third generation survivors and 1 second.

Hearing these personal accounts, how the stories have shaped their lives and the importance of family within the Jewish community really made me think, as well as miss home.

Family is everything; a root, a rock, a support system, love, friendship...and sometimes I don't give my family enough credit, attention, love and respect for all they do for me and our names. I often don't tell them how much they mean to me.

I can't imagine watching my mother, my brother, my aunt or uncle being ripped away from me, sent in one direction as I go another and never see them again as so often happened at the concentration and death camps.

So, to my family. I love you. I thank you. And I can't wait to be home to give you all a hug. Because we should never be separated. And we should never lose hope.

Today, we're off to the Majdanek death camp just outside of Lublin. Another emotionally hard day. We'll then be traveling to Warsaw where we will spend the next 3 nights before returning home.

Home. To family. To my familiar place. But I will never be the same.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone, from Lublin, Poland.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlin' I hope you can feel the love and support I am sending you each day on this journey... I can't wait to wrap my arms around you for a big hug... (The deleted message above was me, not your father.) Take good care and come home safely.
    xoxo Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care. I can't imagine it either...

    ReplyDelete