Friday, May 13, 2011

Crunch time!

Just 1 more sleep until I'll be leaving for Toronto, and surrounded by other eager, anxious MRHers in an airport hotel, finally meeting and getting ready for orientation at the airport on Sunday morning before flying out Sunday evening, to Berlin, via Frankfurt.

Books from Mayor Woodside.
Photo by Linda Hubbard.
On Tuesday, I had the fantastic opportunity to meet with Mayor Brad Woodside, who did a similar trip to MRH this past fall. Mayor Woodside offered great advice, including telling me that I can't possibly know what to expect when at the camps, such as Auschwitz, as there is nothing that can prepare one for the emotions you'll feel and sights. It felt good to hear this, as I've been feeling anxious, wondering how I will react while there.

Mayor Woodside was also kind enough to lend me a book he purchased at the Auschwitz gift shop, titled "A Girl from Schindler's List"; the memoir of Stella Muller-Madej, who survived the Holocaust and still lives in Poland. I really look forward to reading this upon returning home, as it sounds like an excellent story and recount of the events as they were seen through a young girl's eyes.

Mayor Woodside also gave me two beautiful photographic books on Fredericton to give as gifts, perhaps to the survivor I travel with while overseas.

Bag from Gail Mitchell, and Canadian
badges/tags/pins.
Photo by Linda Hubbard.
Things are finally getting checked off my "to do" list before the big day: I finally found ducky shoes for rain, a Canadian flag embroidered badge for my bookbag, and my suitcase is starting to fill. My mom's very kind friend Gail made me a fantastically Canadian bag for my trip, as well. It's the perfect size for all my toiletries and personal items, where they'll be safe and sound. This was a pleasant surprise, and much appreciated!

I also heard some much anticipated news today, via Allison Miceli's Weebly page. Former Nazi member John Demjanjuk's trial has come to an end, as he has been convicted guilty by association with the murder of 28, 000 Jews at a death camp in Poland. For more information on Demjanjuk and the official news articles related to his trial, click here, here and here.

I just wanted to thank you all, again, for your well wishes and warm thoughts as I embark on this journey -- it's hard to believe that the time has finally come! Thank you all, for giving me the strength to partake in this program, and for caring, as well, and trying to make the world a better place. 


Disclaimer: I think Blogspot is working out a few kinks. Sorry for the small / differing font sizes. Hopefully this will get worked out soon.


"There are victories of the soul and spirit. Sometimes, even if you lose, you win." - Elie Wiesel.

No comments:

Post a Comment