Monday, May 9, 2011

KWL Diagnostic Tool

I decided to post one of the assignments required for the MRH trip, as it has not only been helpful in sifting through my knowledge of the Holocaust and what I hope to get from the trip, but I also feel it is a useful assignment with so many possibilities of topics.

The KWL chart - know, want to know, and have learned - was assigned several weeks ago, which we then discussed with "learning partners" - to learn from each other as well as work through things we have heard.

The chart, and assignment, was described to my MRH group as "A KWL chart is a diagnostic tool with a focus on establishing what you KNOW about a topic (situating yourself), what you WANT to know about a topic (creating a learning objective), and what you have LEARNED about a topic (situating  yourself after learning). ... An important element of the MRH educational experience is reflection. We are very intentional to make time to think back on what we’ve learned, how we’ve learned that and make lasting connections." (Ryla Braemer via email). I look forward to looking back on this in August, before the Leadership Weekend with the MRH group to see how things have changed, and how my knowledge has grown.

(Disclaimer: this is normally done in a circle graph or graph with columns, but due to layout limitations of blogger, I've had to change this).

Some of the below information is now "outdated" as I have been reading the required textbook, and am learning from it. 

I hope that by posting the assignment below, you will use this idea for your own knowledge and what you are looking for from my experiences overseas, as well as learn something from my chart. On top of that, if anyone has read any articles related to my "want to" column, below, please feel free to comment with the link.

What do I KNOW about the Holocaust?
  • Personal narrative of Philip Riteman, survivor, and the impact it had on his life, even today
  • Stories of other survivors I have read about / from films (ie: Anne Frank, "The Pianist")
  • Stories of heroism in these times (ie: The story of Irena Sendler)
  • The degree to which things were stripped from the Jewish, etc...ie: not only materialistically


What do I WANT TO KNOW about the Holocaust?
  • More stories like Irena Sendler and Oskar Schindler; of heroism, risking their lives for others
  • More about what happened after; Nuremburg Trials, etc
  • How Nazi wives/others living nearby felt: did they want to leak the information? Did they feel compassion, sorrow, or hatred, as well?
  • How did the Nazi soldiers go home at the end of the day as if nothing was wrong?
  • Trying to comprehend the 'justification' for targeting the Jews
  • How people can deny it


What have I LEARNED about the Holocaust?
  • Degree of affects: ie: 2nd - 3rd generation people / Germans
  • Webinar #3 sparked further reading about Traudl Junge
  • What is a victim? Bystander/ Perpetrator?
  • Original plans for Auschwitz / it's use
  • Basic's of Hitler's plan, xenophobia, etc
  • The number(s) of those murdered

I still have one assignment to complete before going overseas, and we will also have learning/study and reflection groups most evenings while in Europe, to further our knowledge, help us reflect, and completely grasp and understanding the day's events.





"Change your thoughts and you can change the world" - Norman Vincent Peale

No comments:

Post a Comment