Sunday, November 20, 2011

Honoured, and excited

As promised, I'm writing a quick blog post to update you all with my most recent project - which is very exciting!

However, first, I wanted to do a quick plug for MRH itself...the 2012 trip is scheduled for 13-21 May 2012. Applications can be found on the Centre for Diversity website (here) and should be available this coming week.


One of my favourite photos I took on MRH.
Survivor Pinchas Gutter [from Lodz, Poland]
walking with MRH participants.
I have been offered the opportunity [and graciously accepted!] to write a memoir for a Holocaust survivor living here, in Halifax. Steven Markus, originally from Hungary, has so politely shared his experiences of WWII, anti-Semitism and the Holocaust with me, and will continue to do so as we proceed with this project together.

Markus currently has 27 pages of his memoir completed, which I have been reviewing and editing, and he still has plenty of stories and much of his story left to go. I am so thrilled I am able to help him with this, as well as learn his story - more lessons to carry with me and use to educate others.

Markus' story is unbelievable - he and his brother survived, while his mother, father and sister perished in Auschwitz. Markus' story is one of miracles - many miracles, and continuous faith. It truly is a remarkable story and different than all other survivor stories I have heard thus far.

Please stay tuned over the coming weeks for more stories and posts about Mr Markus and my work with his memoir.

3 comments:

  1. I am so very proud of you! This will be another amazing journey...
    Love you,
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    your blog is quite interesting & informative. My daughter is a 4th year student @ SMU & is anxiously awaiting the MRH application. A law student from Dal that she had met while volunteering @ the Hfx Residential school conference thought this would be of interest to her since she went on the 2010 trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments!

    Unfortunately, I write to you with some bad news: due to funding issues, as MRH is a highly subsidized program, MRH is unable to be offered for the 2011-2012 year. I hope that your daughter will still apply in the 2012-2013 year; you'll be able to find the application online in November of 2012 at www.centrefordiversity.ca

    I just got news of the hiatus for 2012, and of course am very sorry to hear - and pass on - this news.

    ReplyDelete