Saturday, October 29, 2011

"Saviours in the Night" - film

Beautiful Berlin - I'm unsure what
building is to the left, but I have
several photos of it in my collection.
In promising that this post will be shorter than my previous one, I want to tell you a little bit about the second Holocaust Education Week event that I attended, which was a screening of the film "Saviours in the Night".

First, however, I should make note that Dr. Susanna Kokkonen, who I heard speak earlier this week is doing several talks across the country - I'm unsure how long she is here for and where exactly she will be - but I'm sure a quick Google search will answer your questions, should you feel the incentive to attend.

The film is based on the memoirs of Marta Spiegel, a German Jew who was taken in, with her daughter, by the Aschoff family during WWII. The Spiegels take on "new names" and are immersed in the Aschoff farming life, accepted as part of their own family as they pull their own weight. This, of course, puts the Aschoff's at risk as they are faithful Germans and sympathize with the Nazis, noted through their daughters loyalty to the Nazi Youth girls division.

This film, although made with actors in a "Hollywood" style opposed to documentary, is a fantastic depiction of the fear, suspense and heroism that took place during WWII. I was, admittedly, a bit skeptical of a film on such a crucial topic done in the mainstream style of filming, but I was very impressed. The actors emotions, facial expressions and body language seemed perfect and very realistic. It is an excellent film that I recommend to anyone interested in these often untold stories of the Holocaust.

For more information on the film and a few video clips, you can visit the more "official" website, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment